For this project I had only a few things to edit, but it turned out to be a much more complicated process than I thought it would be. I started out with a list of the things I wanted to change: adding bounce lights to illuminate the actual structures, as my original lighting was too strong to see them, adding a few lines connecting the tops of the light boxes to the ceiling, to represent the string or cable that will attach them, and adding stitching down the vertical panels of the pieces, to represent how they will be attached. I made a rough sketch of what I wanted to accomplish.
Then I made a Maquette using cardboard and string to show how I would “sew” the pieces together. I then constructed my re-redesign in Rhino. I experimented with the bounce lights and illuminated the actual shape of my structures, which gives the piece a more realistic look and allows the viewer to actually see the intricate pattern on the piece. I also added lines from the tops of the light boxes to the ceiling, to represent the cords that will hang them. This gave my piece a more grounded look, because it is now apparent how they will be hung in a room or gallery, as opposed to just floating in space. Creating the stitching between the pieces was much more tricky than I anticipated. The placement of all those stitches took a long time, even though I used grouping, mirroring, and polar array. The polar array tool wasn’t quite as accurate as I wanted, so I manually placed each set of eleven stitches (there are 48 sets of 11 stitches). This took a few hours and I am pleased with how it looks now.
Unfortunately, in my final render stage, I was unable to add Toucan materials because my objects are so complex, the program crashes when I try to add rendering. So for now, the lighting effects are the extent of my rendering.
I am pleased with how this piece is turning out. I have moved from solely aesthetic consideration to how the piece would actually be constructed, and I feel that I could actually print this piece and I would be proud of the result.